|USGS 7.5' Map:||Fairview Peak, Pitkin|
|Managed by:||Grand Mesa/Uncompahgre/Gunnison National Forest
Gunnison Ranger District
|216 N. Colorado
Gunnison, CO 81230
|Summary:||West Mountain is an easy 4WD road that connects the Gold Link mine to Pitkin. It crosses the sides of Islet Mountain (10,990 ft.) and West Mountain (10,608 ft.).|
|Natural - closed by heavy snows|
June - Best, possible snow drifts at higher elevations
July - Best
August - Best
September - Best, fall colors
October - Best
|Camping:||There are no campsites along the West Mountain road.|
|Base Camp:||Not a good area to base camp.|
|Fall Colors:||Poor - mainly pine forest.|
From Gunnison, CO head east on US Hwy50 for 11.6 miles. Turn left onto County Rd 76 and go 8.7 miles. Turn left onto County Rd 771 and go 5.2 miles. Turn right onto West Mountain road, FR879.
From Sargents, CO head southwest on Hwy50 for 20.3 miles. Turn right onto County Rd 76 and go 8.7 miles. Turn left onto County Rd 771 and go 5.2 miles. Turn right onto West Mountain road, FR879.
From Gunnison, CO head east on Hwy50 11.6 miles. Turn left onto County Rd 76 and go 14.6 miles. Turn left onto Chicago Park Rd and go 0.9 miles. Slight left onto Grasshopper Rd and go 0.1 miles. Turn left onto Star Pointer Rd and go 0.5 miles to start the West Mountain road, FR879.
From Sargents, CO head southwest on Hwy50 for 20.3 miles. Turn right onto County Rd 76 and go 14.6 miles. Turn left onto Chicago Park Rd and go 0.9 miles. Slight left onto Grasshopper Rd and go 0.1 miles. Turn left onto Star Pointer Rd and go about 0.5 miles to start the West Mountain road, FR879.
|History:||The Raymond Mine produced seven million dollars worth of gold from 1897 to 1917, when it closed. The Gold Links mine, north of the Raymond mine had a 40 stamp mill and two story boarding house for the miners. The Gold Links produced $600,000 in Gold and Silver before it closed in 1913. Al Campbell was one of the founders of Cameltown, also called Campbellville, in 1881. Its workings were abandoned when the Carter Mine tunnel expanded to its mines.
Jessen, Kenneth. Ghost Towns Colorado Style, Vol. 2, Central Region Loveland, Colorado: J.V. Publications, 1999. Print.
Gunnison County Chamber of Commerce Ghost Towns and 20 Circle Tour trips of the Gunnison County Gunnison, Colorado: B&B printers. Print.
Eberhart, Perry. Guide to Colorado Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, 4th Ed. Athens, Ohio: Swallow Press, 1974. Print.
|Starting from the Gold Links Mine on County Rd 771, the West Mountain road will follow the creek up Hill Gulch.
The road will be a bit narrow in spots as it pass old prospect holes and cabin remains.
After crossing Hill Gulch Creek the road will climb up a switch back and onto a ridge of Islet Mountain. The road will continue to climb through the forst to its high point at the intersection with a road to the right that goes to Cameltown and then on down Jones Gulch.
From the intersection West Mountain road will continue southest along a ridge of West mountain. From the ridge the road will head down through the forest along the southwest side of West Mountain and tie into the residential roads outside of Pitking.
The road is actually longer than 2.27 miles due to it crossing many sections of private propery.
|Data updated - December 29, 2017 4WD Road driven - August 8, 1999 Copyright 4X4Explore.com - 2000-2018|